PTA Application Process
Application Process: Physical Therapy Assistant
Admission to the PTA program will require that the applicant meet with an Admissions Representative. To find a representative that can assist you with admission requirements for the PTA program, you can visit this link for our contact information: www.westerntech.edu/contact-us. Please note that the PTA program is only offered at the Diana Branch Campus. These requirements are also listed on the application form under the “PTA Application Download" link below.
The PTA Program is a competitive process, and the application does not guarantee admission into the program. Deadline for the submission of all materials will be noted on the actual application form. The start-date for each PTA class will typically be Mid-July of each year and this date will also be noted on the application form. Updated Application forms will be posted by September of the preceding year.
- A minimum of 18 years of age (as of program start date).
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Evidence of a 2.5 GPA or greater from official transcripts in secondary (typically "high school") or postsecondary education (if applicable) submitted to the address above directly from the institution. Copies submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
- A minimum score of 18 on the Wonderlic Assessment.
- Completion of 50 volunteer hours in at least two clinical settings (see forms).
- Two letters of recommendation from appropriate sources (i.e. previous employers, teachers, instructors/mentors, etc. Unacceptable sources are family members, friends, colleagues, etc.).
- A $25.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Deadline for application submission will be noted on the actual Application Form.
All PTA-specific application forms must be submitted directly to the PTA program at:
Attn: Program Director
Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Western Technical College
9451 Diana Drive
El Paso, TX, 79924
These items include:
- PTA application form
- All volunteer/observation hour forms
- All letter of recommendation forms
- Official transcripts (submitted directly from the institution)
- Copy of your receipt for the application fee ($25)
ACCEPTED students (those that have received a letter stating you have been “conditionally accepted”) will be required to complete the following PRIOR TO THE START OF CLASSES:
- An up-to-date immunization record
- Initiate the Hepatitis B vaccine or sign the declination form
- An acceptable criminal background check completed (at the applicant’s expense)
- “Healthcare Provider” CPR certification through the American Heart Association (at the applicant’s expense)
- Signature agreement to the following forms: Health Examination Form from Practitioner, Consent Form for Laboratory Activities, Consent to Participate form. Medical Release form, Student Accommodations form, Consent to Schedule form and Receipt of the Addendum to the Student Handbook form.
- Completion of the Western Tech’s Success Initiative (WTSI) Assessment.
Forms you need to begin the application process:
Letter of Recommendation Form: