Veteran Assistance Programs

U.S. government shutdown. Question or concerns on student financial aid and/or VA educational benefits CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

Veterans of the Armed Services may be eligible for educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) based on their honorable military service and time requirements. The VA pays some benefits directly to the veteran/student, and some to the school, depending upon which program in which the veteran/student participates.

The veteran/student must apply for benefits directly with the VA, and Western Technical College will certify the student’s enrollment and academic progress to the VA. The VA makes monthly payments to the student or school as appropriate based upon that certification.

Veterans with a service-connected disability and children/dependents of veterans who were disabled or killed in the line of duty may be eligible for even more generous benefits.

Western Technical College’s Veterans Affairs Office can help you complete all required forms and submit all documentation for veteran’s educational benefits under chapters 1606, 1607, 30, 31, 33, 35, MyCAA and Tuition Assistance.

The Veterans Affairs Office provides on-going services to veterans and their dependents and is responsible for creating and maintaining records used to certify a student’s status for the VA.

All new and returning students who intend to receive VA Educational Benefits while enrolled at Western Technical College need to be aware of the following:

    • Be sure you are certified.  Registration for Western Technical College classes does not automatically certify you for VA benefits.  To be certified, you will need to come by the Veterans Affairs Office and complete the required forms.
    • You are required to submit copies of each transcript from all institutions previously or currently attending, to the Veterans Affairs Office.  You are responsible for requesting transcripts and making sure they are received at the correct office. Transcripts are required by the VA even if you have never received benefits before since VA regulations stipulate that all prior training must be evaluated to receive educational benefits.
    • It is your responsibility to promptly report and submit supporting documentation of any changes in your Degree Plan or Preliminary Program of Study, degree objective, course(s) substitution(s), enrollment (part of terms), or address to the Veterans Affairs Office.

Related Links:

Military & Veterans

Financial Aid Glossary


Live Chat Support Software

Live Chat Support Software

Live Chat Support Software