Student Loan – Process and Requirements
The student loan application process is 100% on-line and is relatively simple to navigate. However, no matter how simple the process, it is important to thoroughly read everything and to fully understand the obligation you are taking on. As always, if you have questions or don’t understand any part of the process, please contact the Financial Services Office. We are here to help!
Requirements for a first-time borrowers:
- You must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at http://www.studentloans.gov/.
- You must complete on-line entrance counseling at http://www.studentloans.gov/. This interactive on-line process is designed to educate the student about Stafford loans and his/her rights and responsibilities under the loan program.
- Interest will begin to accrue after the first disbursement for an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, and after leaving school for a Subsidized Stafford Loan.
- Upon leaving school, a student is required to complete exit counseling at http://www.studentloans.gov/. This interactive on-line process is designed to remind the student of his/her repayment options and responsibilities.
- All details regarding repayment of Federal Direct Stafford Loans can be found at: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/repaying.jsp
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans
- Parent borrowers must pass a credit check.
- The parent borrower must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) located at http://www.studentloans.gov/
- All details regarding the repayment of the Federal Parent PLUS Loan can be found at: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/repaying.jsp
- Direct Stafford Loans
- Direct Parent PLUS Loans
- Financial Aid Glossary