Advanced Welding 3
Transfer of Credit Policies
Transfer Credit to Western Technical College
- Applicants who wish to receive credit toward any Western Technical College course or program based on previous education, training, work, or military experience must provide a transcript of their post-secondary education, certificates of completion from training courses or military training or a complete and verifiable resume of their relevant work experience prior to being accepted and starting class.
- The acceptance of credit for transfer is primarily based on the competencies achieved by the applicant in previously completed coursework, training or employment and whether the competencies reasonably align with the Western Technical College coursework and program into which the credit is to be transferred. In addition to transcripts, applicants may be required to provide course descriptions from the school where the coursework was performed, to enable Western Technical College to perform a course-by-course evaluation.
- Additionally, Western Technical College may require applicants requesting transfer credit to take oral, written or performance exams or a combination thereof. Applicants must achieve a minimum score of 75% on the exam(s) in order to receive credit.
- Western Technical College does not accept credits listed as “transfer” credits on transcripts from other institutions. Actual transcripts are required for coursework from all institutions previously attended.
- Western Technical College will only consider granting credit for coursework, certifications earned, military or work experience which has occurred within the last five years.
- If the institution which the applicant previously attended is located within the United States, it must be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. Transcripts in Spanish from Puerto Rico or other United States territories are acceptable. If the institution is outside the United States, it must be accredited or similarly acknowledged by an agency deemed acceptable at Western Technical College’s discretion. Western Technical College may also require evaluation of foreign transcripts or credentials by an independent third party at the applicant’s expense.
- High school graduates may be eligible for an award from a Tech Prep or other high school level coursework based on the articulation agreement between Western Technical College and the independent school district from which the student graduated. Western Technical College has articulation agreements with most of the school districts in the surrounding area. In order to qualify for the award, a high school course grade must be at least an 80% / B / 3.0.
- Western Technical College will extend monetary credit consistent with the amount of academic credit awarded. In no instance will combined academic, proficiency, financial, or credit from any other source exceed 50% of an entire program at Western Technical College.
- Students receiving credit are not eligible to receive Title IV student financial assistance or Veterans Administration (VA) funding for any coursework for which credit was granted. They may receive student financial assistance or VA funding for all other coursework at Western Technical College contingent upon their eligibility.
- At a minimum, 50% of the credits required for graduation from Western Technical College must be earned at Western Technical College.
- Final decisions on transfer credit will be made by the campus director.
- Western Technical College encourages all students who receive credit to attend the course(s) for which they received credit. In that way, they enjoy the benefit of learning the most up to date material while still receiving the financial credit toward their tuition.
- Students attending courses for which they have received credit are responsible to maintain the same academic and attendance standards and abide by all Western Technical College policies and procedures as other students.
*Massage Therapy Only
The Texas Department of State Health Services must review and approve any hours the student may want to transfer. For more information call TX DSHS at 1-512-834-6677 ext. 2778.
It is the student’s responsibility to submit an application of previous education to the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) prior to enrolling at Western Technical College.
Individuals wishing to enroll in the Massage Therapy program who have prior training or education credits applicable to the State’s educational requirements for licensure must submit official transcripts from previous-approved massage therapy program(s), colleges or universities directly to the Texas Department of State Health Services for evaluation. Notification of credit transfer eligibility will be sent directly to the person applying by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Individuals must then present credit eligibility results to Western Technical College prior to enrollment.
Contact the Texas Department of State Health Services:
For Students/Graduates Who Want To Transfer Their Western Technical College Credits to Another Institution
Other than colleges/universities that have formal articulation agreements with Western Technical College, it is unlikely that credits earned at Western Technical College will transfer to another postsecondary institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits from Western Technical College will be accepted by another college. Western Technical College does not imply, promise, or guarantee transferability of its credits to any other institution. In the United States Higher Education system, transferability of credit is always determined by the receiving institution, taking into account such factors as course content, grades, accreditation and licensing.
For graduates wishing to continue their education, Western Technical College has structured articulation agreements with the University of Phoenix. Western Technical College graduates may receive both academic and financial credit towards their continuing education. Further detailed information can be obtained from each Campus Director.