Skip to content
Request Info Icon - Western Tech - El Paso, TX Request Information
Request Information Request Info Icon - Western Tech - El Paso, TX


We Value Your Privacy We know you are anxious to get started on your new career. By pressing the button in the form on this page, I understand that Western Technical College may call and/or text me about educational services at the phone number provided, including a wireless number, using automated technology. Your information will only be used by Western Technical College. We do not and will not sell your information to any other party. Please note, that you are not required to provide this consent to attend our institutions.


The decision to get an education is one of the best decisions you can ever make. Still, we understand the process can feel stressful, especially when it comes to the financial side of things.

That’s why we have an amazing Student Financial Services team in place … experts who can cut through the confusion, guide you through the entire process, and even help you fill out the paperwork. Feel free to stop by, schedule a visit or give us a call; our team is available to help walk you through the Financial Aid process step by step.

Remember – in addition to financial aid, we have many scholarships available to offset tuition costs.

We look forward to meeting with you in the Financial Services Office!


Most college students are eligible for federal Financial Aid, but there are eligibility rules for each program.  Learn more about the Department of Education’s Eligibility Requirements.

There are many programs available from several government departments:

  • Federal Pell Grant provides money to students who do not have a bachelor’s degree already.
    • For any 2023-24 Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2023, and before Oct. 1, 2024, the statutory maximum award amount of $7,395 is reduced by 5.7 percent ($421.51), resulting in a maximum award of $6,973.49.
  • Federal SEOG Grant is a supplement to the Pell Grant for those students who are eligible receive a large Pell Grant.  There is no separate application.  Eligible students will be notified through the web portal as part of their Award Letter.
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs to students with financial need. Students will earn a paycheck for hourly work and can use the money toward personal expenses. Awards vary based upon funding levels and student availability to work. A separate work application is required and available at the Student Services office.  Jobs are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is a loan program available to help students pay for their educational costs.  The Subsidized Loan is available to students with financial need, while the Unsubsidized Loan is available in addition to the Subsidized amount and is not based on financial need (That means it is available to most students regardless of family income). Click the link above or stop in to the Financial Services Office to learn more about federal student loans.
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loan is a loan available to the parent(s) of dependent students. A parent, if their credit is approved, may borrow up to the cost of attendance less other financial aid.
  • Aid Programs for Veterans, Military, and Dependents of Disabled/Deceased Veterans: Please visit our Financial Aid Programs for Military and Veterans page for more information on these programs.
  • Federal Aid to Native Americans is available to students who are enrolled members of a federally recognized Indian Tribe, Alaska Natives, or ¼ degree Indian blood descendent of a federally recognized tribe. Most programs are based on financial need and the availability of funds. Eligibility is determined and administered by your tribe and may be awarded in successive years based on satisfactory academic progress. Information and applications are available from the education office of your tribe or from the Office of Public Affairs – Indian Affairs in Washington, D.C.


Step 1: Create Your FSA ID

The starting point for all federal aid is filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To do that, you will need a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID and password. Your FSA ID gives you a username and password to sign the FAFSA.  Parents and students need their own FSA IDs. Access the free FSA ID sign-up site here.

Step 2: Fill Out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form

Go to the website to complete the online FAFSA. The information you provide will help determine your eligibility for aid.

The online process includes a download of income and tax information directly from the IRS website (for both student and parent income). Be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool download process to prevent delays. If you do not choose this option, you’ll most likely be chosen for a process called “verification” (see below).

When completing the FAFSA form, list Western Technical College as your school of choice (federal school code #014535) to ensure we receive your info in a timely manner.

FAFSA Filing Deadline: It’s best to have your FAFSA completed at least 14 days prior to the start of classes. The absolute deadline to file your FAFSA is the earlier of May 1 for the previous school year or a few days before you finish school, as we must receive your information while you are still enrolled to process your aid.

Verification: Some FAFSA applications will be chosen by the U.S. Department of Education for a review process known as “verification.” If your application is selected, you (and your parent if you’re a dependent) will be asked to provide copies of prior year tax transcripts from the IRS, along with other income information. We will let you know if you were selected for verification.

We cannot process any financial aid until all required documentation is submitted and reviewed, so it’s important to submit requested documentation quickly.

Verification Deadline:  All documents must be received and reviewed within 30 days of the end of the school year (May 31st) or the student’s last day of attendance for the year, whichever comes first.  If you miss the deadline your eligibility will be forfeited.

Step 3: Receive Your SAR Report & Financial Aid Award Letter

After filing your FAFSA you will receive an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR). This report is a summary of the info provided on your application. Please review it for accuracy. If needed, you can make corrections through the website.

Your SAR will also list your expected family contribution (EFC). This is the amount, based on the federal formula, that you and your family (if applicable) may be expected to contribute toward the Cost of Attendance (COA).

The Financial Aid Office will then prepare a financial aid package for you based on your eligibility. This info will be provided to you in an award letter.

You can also discuss timing of your financial aid payments, billing procedures and alternative financing options with the Financial Aid Office.


If financial aid and scholarships are not enough to cover your costs, Western Tech offers a variety of plans to help you finance any remaining balance. Whether you choose the in-school or long-term payment options, or a combination of both, we can help find a solution that works best for you.

  • In-School Payment Plan– Make monthly payments across the school year for any remaining balance after other forms of financial assistance are considered.
  • Long-Term Financing– We also offer an institutional loan (through a third-party servicer), which allows for a maximum term of 60 months. Interest rates are determined by credit analysis.


Call 1-800-225-5984 to schedule an appointment with a member of our Financial Aid team. We’re here to help!


WTC Financial Aid Consumer Guide Info


What types of aid programs are available to veterans, military personnel, or dependents of disabled/deceased service members?  There are a number of different programs for people in different circumstances.  For more information, please visit our Financial Aid Programs for Military and Veterans page.

What are my rights as a Financial Aid recipient?  Great question! Getting financial assistance comes with certain rights, and certain responsibilities.  A summary of these, with links to obtain details, can be found at: Rights and Responsibilities of Financial Aid Recipients.

I’ve done my FAFSA and received my Award Letter.  What do I need to do the get my student loan?  Western Tech has created a page to walk you through it step-by-step. Click this link to get started:  Student Loan Process and Requirements.

I’ve heard that some of my tuition may be tax-deductible.  Is this true?  It may be true in some circumstances, including for the parents of dependent students.  Learn more about it here:  Income Tax Credits for Education.

What happens to my costs and financial aid if I have to leave school without graduating? There are rules for calculating pro-ration of tuition and financial aid in the case of a student’s withdrawal.  Those rules are listed here: Refunds and Return to Title IV (R2T4).

I really don’t know much about personal finance, budgeting, credit reports, etc.  Are there resources that will help me?  Yes!  We’ve collected links to some of the best resources available to help you manage your personal finances, both in college and afterwards.  Those links are collected here:  Financial Skills, Budgeting, Planning, and Credit.


The Student Financial Services Office operates under a strict code of ethics.  That code is detailed on this page:  Financial Services Office Code of Ethics.


You can learn more about the cost of attendance at Western Tech and get a general idea of your cost to attend school by visiting our Cost of Attendance and Net Price Calculator.  Keep in mind, this is just an estimate. It’s always best to meet with a Financial Aid team member for the most accurate information.