Transfer of Credit Policies
TRANSFER CREDIT FOR PREVIOUS EDUCATION, TRAINING, MILITARY, OR WORK EXPERIENCE
Those who believe they may qualify for academic credit, or course exemption based on previous education, training, or work experience, may apply by informing their admissions representative during the enrollment process. The evaluation of credit granted may be done by transcript evaluation, interview, testing or performance, or a combination thereof. Course exemption(s) granted is documented and cost of the program is reduced proportionately. Decisions on course exemption(s) must be made prior to a student starting school.
For Applicants who want to Transfer Credits to Western Tech
- Applicants who wish to have their previous education and experience reviewed and considered for credit must do so prior to being accepted and starting class. For all degree programs, students that have taken general education coursework over the last five (5) years, may be entitled to course exemption provided that the grade(s) earned are a “B” or higher.
- All course exemptions are determined by the Campus Director at each location.
- The acceptance of transfer credit for technical courses is primarily based on the competencies achieved by the applicant in previously completed coursework, training or employment and whether the competencies reasonably align with the Western Tech coursework and program into which the credit is to be transferred. In addition to transcripts, applicants may be required to provide course descriptions from the school where the coursework was performed, to enable Western Tech to perform a course-by-course evaluation.
- Additionally, Western Tech may require applicants requesting transfer credit to take oral, written or performance exams or a combination thereof. Applicants must achieve a minimum score of 75% on the exam(s) in order to receive credit.
- Western Tech does not accept credits listed as “transfer” credits on transcripts from other institutions. Actual transcripts are required for coursework from all institutions previously attended.
- Western Tech will only consider granting credit for coursework, certifications earned, military or work experience which has occurred within the last five years.
- If the institution which the applicant previously attended is located within the United States, it must be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. Transcripts in Spanish from Puerto Rico or other United States territories are acceptable. If the institution is outside the United States, it must be accredited or similarly acknowledged by an agency deemed acceptable at Western Tech’s discretion. Western Tech may also require evaluation of foreign transcripts to determine high school equivalency of credentials by an independent third party at the applicant’s expense.
- High school graduates may be eligible for an award from high school level coursework based on the articulation agreement between Western Tech and the independent school district from which the student graduated. Western Tech has articulation agreements with most of the school districts in the surrounding area. In order to qualify for the award, a high school course grade must be at least an 80% / B / 3.0.
- Students receiving credit are not eligible to receive Title IV student financial assistance or Veterans Administration (VA) funding for any coursework for which credit was granted. They may receive student financial assistance or VA funding for all other coursework at Western Tech contingent upon their eligibility.
- At a minimum, 50% of the credits required for graduation from Western Tech must be earned at Western Tech.
- Final decisions on transfer credit are made by the campus director.
*Massage Therapy Only
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation must review and approve any hours the student may want to transfer. For more information call TDLR at 512-463-6599.
It is the student’s responsibility to submit an application of previous education to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) prior to enrolling at Western Technical College.
Individuals wishing to enroll in the Massage Therapy program who have prior training or education credits applicable to the State’s educational requirements for licensure must submit official transcripts from previous-approved massage therapy program(s), colleges or universities directly to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for evaluation. Notification of credit transfer eligibility will be sent directly to the person applying by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. Individuals must then present credit eligibility results to Western Technical College prior to enrollment.
Contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation:
Telephone: (512) 463-6599
Toll-Free (in Texas): (800) 803-9202
Fax: (512) 463-9468
Relay Texas-TDD: (800) 735-2989
For Students/Graduates Who Want To Transfer Their Western Technical College Credits to Another Institution
Other than colleges/universities that have formal articulation agreements with Western Technical College, it is unlikely that credits earned at Western Technical College will transfer to another post-secondary institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits from Western Technical College will be accepted by another college. Western Technical College does not imply, promise, or guarantee transferability of its credits to any other institution. In the United States Higher Education system, transferability of credit is always determined by the receiving institution, taking into account such factors as course content, grades, accreditation and licensing.
For graduates wishing to continue their education elsewhere, Western Tech has structured articulation agreements with the University of Phoenix, Western Governors and Grand Canyon University. For further information, graduates should contact these institutions for particulars regarding course exemptions and credits.